January 16, 2023
Have you ever had an odor that lingered, kept coming back, or just wouldn’t go away? Today I’m sharing 5 things you can do to make (and keep) your home smelling good. These are simple things that you can do to give your home that fresh, clean scent that welcomes you instead of making you wonder, what is that smell?
Multi-Purpose Cleaning & Freshening Powder
When you clean consistently you stay on top of dirt, messes, and smelly stuff. Taking care of dishes, counters, laundry, clutter, floors, etc. is essential to a house that smells good. Bonus: Not only will your home smell good, it’ll look good too!
Need some direction on a cleaning routine? The Clean Mama Routine is the simplest and most effective way to keep your home clean. You’ll know what to clean and when to clean it and you’ll find that your home smells good and looks good!
Take Out the Trash
We take our trash out every evening after dinner. Once we have the kitchen cleaned up, one of the kids brings the kitchen garbage out to the garage. This keeps the inside garbage from getting stinky and it keeps our kitchen smelling fresh.
Quick Tip: Keep the refrigerator smelling good by wiping it out weekly before you go grocery shopping. Toss any expired food at this time too. I do this on Fridays as part of my Catch-All Day.
Use Simple Pantry Ingredients to Freshen Your Home
Chances are you have these ingredients on hand – file these ideas away and next time you have a lingering odor, open your pantry and eliminate that odor. Better yet, you’ll be getting rid of the odor naturally, without artificial fragrances.
- sprinkle in smelly garbage cans
- sprinkle on stinky carpet, let sit, vacuum up
- keep a box in your refrigerator or freezer to absorb odors
Multi-Purpose Cleaning & Freshening Powder is an aluminum-free baking soda and essential oil blend that is great for freshening carpet, garbage cans, and using as a sink scrub.
- For smelly kitchen odors (like a dinner smell that won’t go away), pour 1/4 – 1/2 cup in a small bowl and let it sit uncovered on a counter for 24 hours.
- Mix a 50:50 ratio of white vinegar and filtered water and pour in a spray bottle for cleaning out especially tough odors, let sit and wipe clean.
Use Natural (not artificial) Fragrance
- put a drop or two of your favorite essential oils on a cotton ball or cotton pad and tuck in a musty dresser drawer, a stuffy closet, stinky shoes, gym bag, vacuum cleaner bag or canister, etc.
- Use a diffuser with your favorite essential oil scent.
Find my favorite essential oil blends here.
Make a Stovetop Simmer
Look for candles that are dye-free, made in the US and use natural fragrance oils or essential oils for scent. Check out the new candles in my shop.
Use a Simple and Safe DIY Fabric Refresh Spray
The chemicals and artificial fragrance in traditional fabric sprays have harmful ingredients and artificial fragrances. Mix up this simple DIY to keep your fabric smelling fresh and clean. Find the DIY here.
Have you tried any of these methods for keeping your home smelling good? What’s your favorite?
Looking for more DIY Inspiration?
Get Access to Clean Mama’s Free DIY Recipes Printable
You’ll also get access to the entire free printable library!