Makeup brushes are essential tools in any makeup routine, allowing for the precise application of products and creating flawless looks. However, as you use your brushes over time, they can accumulate bacteria, dirt, and oil buildup, which can lead to skin irritations and even infections.
It’s not just about making sure your makeup looks good, but also about taking care of your skin health. That’s why it’s crucial to clean your makeup brushes regularly to maintain their performance and hygiene.
Why Should We Clean Our Makeup Brushes?
Cleaning your makeup brushes not only helps to remove dirt and bacteria but also helps to extend their lifespan. When you clean your brushes, you remove excess makeup, oils, and bacteria from the bristles, making them perform like new again.
Additionally, cleaning your brushes regularly helps to maintain the softness of the bristles, preventing them from becoming brittle and breaking. Proper cleaning and care of your makeup brushes can also save you money in the long run, as you won’t have to replace them as often.
How to clean makeup brushes at home
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the best methods and tips on how to clean your makeup brushes at home, whether you have a brush cleaner or not. We’ll cover various methods for cleaning your brushes, including using gentle soap, vinegar, coconut oil, and baby shampoo. We’ll also share some tips on how to dry your brushes properly and what not to use when cleaning your brushes. So, let’s get started on keeping your brushes clean and your skin healthy!
Clean Them Often
Cleaning your makeup brushes regularly is essential to maintain their performance, extend their lifespan, and prevent skin irritations or breakouts. Here are some tips on how to clean makeup brushes at home:
If you don’t clean them often, you may notice makeup starts to float onto your mirrors. Here is what to do if that is the case.
What You Need:
- Rinse your brushes under lukewarm water to remove any excess makeup.
- Put a small amount of soap or shampoo in your palm or a bowl, and swirl the bristles of your brush in the soap until it forms a lather. Alternatively, you can mix the soap with water in a bowl.
- Gently massage the bristles with your fingers or a brush-cleaning tool to remove any dirt or residue.
- Rinse the brush under running water until the water runs clear, and make sure to keep the bristles pointing down to avoid water getting into the ferrule (the metal part that connects the bristles to the handle).
- Squeeze out any excess water gently and reshape the bristles if necessary.
- Lay the brush flat on a clean towel to dry. Avoid standing the brush upright until it’s completely dry, as water can seep into the ferrule and damage the brush.
Be careful not to shake your brushes out, or else you could get stains on the walls.
How to Disinfect Makeup Brushes
If you are wondering how to clean your makeup brushes with vinegar, this is it!
What You Need:
- One Part White Vinegar
- One Part Water
- Mix one part vinegar with two parts water.
- Dip your brush into the solution for a few seconds.
- Now rinse it under running water.
How to clean makeup brushes without cleaner
There are several methods you can use to clean your brushes. The process remains the same, but here are some solutions. Here will talk about what you need.
How to clean makeup brushes with dish soap
- Use a mild dish soap and squeeze some onto a wet sponge.
- Rub your brushes against the soap to clean them before rinsing them in cool water.
- Lay flat to dry.
How to clean makeup brushes with coconut oil
Here you can use a soaking method to give your makeup brushes a deep cleaning.
- Pour coconut oil, lemon juice, and water into a cup. Mix thoroughly.
- Put your brushes in and let them soak for a minimum of five minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and let them dry on a towel
Washing your brushes by hand can go a long way. The same can be said for handwashing clothes. Spending extra time on what your washing helps you get out hard and stuck on dirt.
How to clean makeup brushes with baby shampoo
Cleaning your makeup brushes with baby shampoo is an effective and gentle method that can help remove makeup residue, dirt, and bacteria from the bristles. Here are the steps to follow:
- Wet the bristles of your makeup brush under lukewarm water.
- Apply a small amount of baby shampoo to the palm of your hand or on a clean surface.
- Gently swirl the brush in the shampoo, making sure to work the shampoo into the bristles.
- Rinse the brush under running water, using your fingers to massage the bristles to remove all the shampoo.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 until the water runs clear and there is no more shampoo or makeup residue left on the brush.
- Gently squeeze out any excess water from the brush using a clean towel.
- Reshape the bristles of the brush to their original form.
- Lay the brush flat on a clean towel and allow it to air dry completely before using it again.
How to clean natural hair makeup brushes
You may be wondering what the difference is between normal makeup brushes and one that has natural hair. damaging the delicate bristles. Here’s how you can clean natural hair makeup brushes:
- Wet the bristles of your brush under lukewarm water. Be careful not to get water on the ferrule, as this can loosen the glue and cause the bristles to fall out.
- Apply a small amount of gentle shampoo, baby shampoo, or a dedicated brush cleaner to the palm of your hand or a clean surface.
- Gently swirl the brush in the shampoo or brush cleaner, making sure to work the soap into the bristles. Avoid scrubbing too hard or pressing too firmly, as this can damage the bristles.
- Rinse the brush under running water, using your fingers to massage the bristles to remove all the soap.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 until the water runs clear and there is no more soap or makeup residue left on the brush.
- Gently squeeze out any excess water from the brush using a clean towel. Be careful not to twist or pull the bristles, as this can damage them.
- Reshape the bristles of the brush to their original form.
- Lay the brush flat on a clean towel and allow it to air dry completely before using it again. Avoid drying the brush upright, as this can cause water to seep into the ferrule and loosen the glue.
It’s important to clean your natural hair makeup brushes regularly to prevent the buildup of bacteria and dirt. However, be careful not to over-wash them, as this can damage the bristles and cause them to become dry and brittle. Aim to clean your brushes once a week or as needed depending on how often you use them.
P.S. Ever fall asleep on your kid’s bed and notice your makeup gets on their stuffed animals? No worries! Here is what to do.
The same can be said for baby clothes.
Best Makeup Brush Cleaner Options
- BeautyBlender Liquid BlenderCleanser
- Real Techniques Brush Cleansing Gel
- Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner
- Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap
- Johnson’s Baby Shampoo‘
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is everything you need to know about cleaning your makeup brushes.
How often should you clean makeup brushes?
Makeup brushes should be cleaned at least once a week, but the frequency of cleaning may vary depending on how often they are used and how much product buildup they accumulate. Brushes used with cream or liquid products should be cleaned more frequently to prevent bacterial growth, while brushes used with powder products may not need to be cleaned as often.
It’s better to clean your brushes more frequently than not enough, and a good rule of thumb is to clean them as soon as you notice any product buildup or discoloration. Cleaning your makeup brushes regularly helps maintain their performance and hygiene and prevents skin irritations or breakouts.
Can you clean makeup brushes with alcohol?
Yes, makeup brushes can be cleaned with alcohol, but it should be used in moderation and diluted with water. Alcohol is a disinfectant that can kill bacteria, but using too much or too frequently can damage the bristles. It is recommended to use a ratio of one part alcohol to three parts water and let the brushes air dry completely after cleaning.
What Is the Best Soap to Clean Makeup Brushes?
When it comes to choosing a soap to clean makeup brushes, it’s best to opt for a gentle and mild formula that won’t damage the bristles or dry them out. Here are some options that you can consider:
- Baby shampoo is a gentle and mild formula that’s safe to use on all types of makeup brushes. It effectively cleans the bristles without stripping them of their natural oils, and it’s affordable and easy to find.
- Castile soap is a natural and eco-friendly soap made from vegetable oils. It’s gentle on the bristles and effective in removing dirt and makeup residue. It’s also versatile and can be used for cleaning other household items. This is how to clean makeup brushes with castile soap.
- Olive oil soap is another natural and gentle option that can effectively clean your makeup brushes. It’s moisturizing and can help condition the bristles, leaving them soft and supple. If you are wondering how to clean makeup brushes with olive oil, simply let them soak.
- When choosing a soap to clean your makeup brushes, it’s important to avoid harsh and abrasive formulas, such as dish soap or laundry detergent, as these can damage the bristles and shorten the lifespan of your brushes.